Saint Cloud was first settled in October 1851 and platted by John L. Wilson in the fall of 1854. It was incorporated as a town on March 1, 1856 and incorporated as a city on March 3, 1868. The treasury warrants issued by the town were signed by both the recorder and mayor. The notes were among the last of the municipal issues in the state, having been authorized in December 1862. They were redeemable in U.S. Treasury Notes in sums of five dollars or more.