In 1857, Pascal Smith of Red Wing started a banking firm under the name of Smith, Meigs & Company. The partners in this venture were Messrs. Smith, Meigs, Ferguson and Knapp. In 1860, he partnered with Wells S. Dickinson and the name was changed to Smith & Dickinson. This firm bought out the first Bank of Red Wing in 1863.
Smith & Dickinson had special change notes prepared for merchant W. Eisenbrand of Red Wing. These notes bear a light-green underprint with the merchant’s name over the signature block. They may have ordered notes prepared for other merchants as well.