Curtis Hussey Pettit was born September 18, 1833 and came to Minnesota early in 1855. He opened his banking business on November 1, 1855 in Minneapolis on Bridge Square. By 1856, he had $150,000 of capital.
C. H. Pettit was a prolific issuer of endorsed notes in 1857. He endorsed notes of the non-existent American Bank, promising to redeem them in gold or exchange at current rates. The notes that survived this venture are pen cancelled and probably never saw circulation. It is reported that he emitted over $20,000 in endorsed notes.
In late September, 1858, he put out a paper called The Journal, and his office of operations was located in the Journal Block. He went out of the banking business in 1860, and went into the hardware business.