The first post office in Lake City was established in 1856 in Harvey F. Williamson’s general store. By the early 1860s, he had a large hardware store in town. As an ancillary part of his business he also operated a commercial exchange to deal with checks, drafts, and other commercial paper. By the late 1860s, banking was his primary business. Williamson later moved to Duluth.