Matthew Donohue ran a general store by the name of M. E. Donohue & Co., and was listed in an 1866 business directory. Donohue was active in early Sibley County government, being county recorder from 1857 to 1859 and auditor from 1863 to 1869.
The village of Faxon was originally called Walker’s Landing, named after resident and first postmaster Hartwell Walker. The name changed to Big Hill when it was platted in April 1857, and was located in sections four and five of Faxon township in Sibley County on the Minnesota River. The post office opened in 1857 and the village name was changed to Faxon in 1859. A ferry service was begun in 1862 to accommodate shipments of wheat to market.
The town declined in the late 1800s and the post office was discontinued in 1901. Faxon no longer exists as a village.