The Anoka Store was run by E. S. Teller, a native of Poughkeepsie, New York. In his youth, he moved to New York City, Ohio, and then to Iowa. He came to Anoka in 1858, and was in the mercantile business for many years. Later he became active in real estate. He lived in Anoka continuously until his death in 1888.