Hastings was platted as a village in 1853 and incorporated as a city on March 7, 1857. The name was selected by way of a lottery among the town’s proprietors. The winner was an admirer of local leader Henry H. Sibley, and chose his middle name. Notes of the Treasurer of the City of Hastings were signed by C. A. Baker, town clerk, and D. F. Langley, mayor. The notes were endorsed by Thorne’s Bank and redeemable in gold or exchange at current rates. The scrip was issued in early 1862.